Saturday, February 23, 2008

When Viruses Attack

One of the occupational risks of being a doctor is exposure to infectious diseases. This can come in the form of accidental needle sticks, of which I've had my share, or exposure to infectious agents through contact. Yes, I wash my hands very frequently, but the risk remains. We have recently had a mini influenza breakout, with two patients ending up in the ICU on ventilators. It may or may not be related, but last Tuesday I began to feel a little sick. Nothing major, just a scratchy throat, cough, some congestion. I figured it for a standard cold (or in doctor speak, viral URI), but by Wednesday morning I knew things very more serious.

I started to spike fevers, developed a headache and started chilling and shaking. Getting out of bed to make the ten step trip to the bathroom took all my concentration and willpower. I actually called in sick.

You might think that a group of doctors would understand that people do get sick and should stay home, but in my group we all pretend that we are invulnerable to the diseases that affect mere humans. We have no system in place to fill in for a sick partner. In eleven years with my current group I had never taken a sick day. Not once. But on Wednesday I had no choice.

I was in bed for 36 hours, miserable with cough, headache, drenching sweats, chills. It finally dawned on me that I most likely had real influenza. I contemplated taking a course of tamiflu but in the end didn't have the energy to phone in a prescription. I talked to my father on the phone and mentioned my illness. Before retiring, he was a pediatrician which is almost like being a doctor (just kidding, Dad). He asked if I had been to see my doctor. I told him no, that would be a sign of weakness. After we finished laughing, his only comment was "Jackass."

On Thursday I attempted to work, but only lasted a few hours. Friday, I was in the whole day, and appear to slowly be getting better. It's a little scary how weak I've gotten. It's like that episode in "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" when she temporarily loses her super powers. I'm normally a very vigorous, athletic person- someone who thinks of spending an hour on a gigantic thoroughbred horse, jumping fences, as a light workout. Now I was having trouble walking up a flight of stairs. Scary indeed.

Saturday was one of those glorious, sunny days that makes you give Minnesota another chance. After weeks of temperatures below zero it was now in the twenties and the snow sparkled. I took our Labrador for a long walk, letting her run in Kenwood Park. When I got home, a few hours later, I was exhausted.

It has finally sunk in that doctor or not, athlete or not, a virus is a virus. It doesn't care, This one hit me like a steamroller and knocked me flat. I will have to work each day to increase my endurance and strength, just like anyone else. I'm just thankful the Angel of Death didn't see the need to take an interest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home